From the Classroom to being in Operating Room

This article goes into detail about how some of the different electives at Chatfield can impact your life!

At Chatfield High School, a junior, Ava Byerly, recently embarked on an extraordinary journey into the world of neurosurgery through an internship at Castle Rock Adventist Hospital. Shadowing spine surgery procedures, this student gained invaluable insights and reaffirmed her passion for medicine, particularly in the field of neurosurgery.

IMG_5392.HEIC

Reflecting on her internship experience, she emphasized the significance of precision and patience in neurosurgery. Witnessing firsthand the delicate procedures and the dedication required, she found her love and passion for neurosurgery flourishing with each passing moment in the operating room.

“I learned that neurosurgery calls for precision and patience,” Ava expressed. “My love and passion for neurosurgery has grown ever since.”

Despite the internship initially being a requirement for her anatomy class, the student expressed a strong desire to continue pursuing such experiences beyond the confines of her school curriculum.

“I would 100% recommend this,” she exclaimed, highlighting the profound impact it had on her understanding and enthusiasm for medicine.

For this aspiring neurosurgeon, the internship served as a catalyst for personal and professional growth. It ignited a fire within her, amplifying her excitement and dedication to her chosen path. “This experience made me 100 times more excited and devoted to what I want to do with my life, which is neurosurgery,” she proclaimed with unwavering determination.

In the face of the daunting prospect of rigorous medical schooling, she remains resolute in her commitment to making a positive impact. She believes that every moment spent learning and honing her skills is a step towards her ultimate goal of helping others through neurosurgical intervention.

“People often tell me it’s a lot of hard school and they don’t know if I want to do it after that,” she acknowledged. “But as long as I create a positive impact on anyone that I may treat or work with in the future, then the schooling has paid off for itself.”

For this aspiring neurosurgeon, the operating room is not just a place of work; it’s a sanctuary where her passion is reignited, and her purpose is reaffirmed. “I have such a passion for neurosurgery,” she confessed. “And when I get to shadow and be in an OR, my whole mindset changes, and nothing else really matters.”

Her journey from a high school classroom to the operating room exemplifies the transformative power of hands-on experiences and unwavering passion. With each step forward, she moves closer to realizing her dreams of making a meaningful difference in the field of neurosurgery, one precision-driven procedure at a time.

View Comments (3)