Chatty Gymnastics Goes to REGIONALS; Chalk Up Chargers!!

Samantha Rossman, Head Writer and Editor

Chatfield Gymnasts started off running at full speed this season and their hard work and dedication are paying off. With an unknown season in front of them, these girls worked hard to create bonds and skill sets that would set them apart from the rest. Our Lady Chargers are coming into Regionals ranked 6th in the stateREGIONALS WILL BE APRIL 17TH AT 12:30PM AT ARVADA WEST HIGH SCHOOL!!

Interview with Izzy Noakes, a senior on the team:

Q: What has been your favorite part about this season so far?

A: My favorite part about this season has been seeing our team become so close in such a short time and that team spirit and bond showing through at our competitions, at practice, and during our routines. As a senior with a shortened season, this is all I could really ask for and I can’t thank everyone enough for it.

Q: How do you feel about all-conference?

A: I’m super proud of everyone who made all-conference and the fact that this year we had the highest amount of people get 1st, 2nd all-conference or honorable mention. A lot of the awards my teammates got were also their first awards at that event throughout their high school career which is an amazing thing to see.

Q: What is your favorite event to participate in?

A: I don’t have a favorite event, but my favorite event to compete in is the floor because it gets the whole team more involved and excited. During everyone’s routines, the energy is always high and I love it.

Q: Has covid taken anything away from your season that you miss having in the past?

A: One thing I definitely miss is getting to have my whole team at all the post-season meets. I love the support and energy our team is capable of and I wish I got those few more meets with them. Like team dinners and our campout, we do at the beginning of the season these things just bring us all closer together. However, I do think how close we’ve gotten in a short amount of time is great and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Q: Why did this year’s team decide not to have captains?

A: The seniors and our coach decided not to have captains this year because we knew that by the time the new members on the team really got to know us enough to be able to vote, our season would be close to over. We wanted to focus on leadership as a whole instead of certain people taking all the responsibility.

Interview with Coach Chavez (aka Cha Cha):

Q: What surprised you most about this season?

A:  How fast the season went and how prepared and ready my team was to get started.

Q: Is it hard being a teacher and a coach at the same time?

A: I don’t think I would be sane if I wasn’t coaching. At that beginning of the year, I was stressed all the time and when I started coaching and going to the gym again it helped me relax and refocus. I think coaching actually makes me a better teacher, it fills my heart and fills my soul.

Q: What was your first thought when you were chosen as Jeffco coach of the year?

A: I was shocked. I feel so honored to be chosen as coach of the year especially because Jeffco has such amazing coaches.

Q: How many years have you won the Sportsmanship Award?

A:  I have been coaching at Chatfield for 11 years and we have won it 9 out of the 11 years I have been the head coach.

Q: How many years have you been coaching?

A: I have been coaching since 2003, I was hired at Bear Creek in 2003-2009. I started coaching at Chatfield in 2010. I have been coaching technically since my freshman year of high school.

Q: What is the most significant strength of your team as a whole?

A:  Everyone is supportive of one another, they all have each other’s back. At One meet a girl had injured herself and was scared and I was able to just pull someone off the bench and they were ready to go.

Good luck to our gymnastics team this weekend at Regionals, all of you are going to dominate!! Way to go Chargers, keep on charging! Chalk up Chargers!